I found this interesting little bit from the esteemed management guru Warren Bennis in my notes. These are Bennis's five elements of establishing trusting relationships between managers and staff.
- Competence. The leader has to be capable, skilled, and able to make up his or her own mind.
- Constancy. Although leaders must always adapt to the circumstances, their principles and standards of behavior should have a constancy that people can rely on.
- Caring. The leader should be caring. Caring is compassion, empathy, and the capacity to understand what other people are feeling.
- Candor. Candor is about being truthful and speaking up when things are not right.
- Character. Leaders should have discipline and integrity. They should be able to face adversity and to learn and grow in good times and bad.